msa at uva
Originating with a small group of Muslim students who wished to come together in the name of Islam and in the spirit of Muslim brotherhood, the Muslim Students Association was established at the University of Virginia in 1985. The MSA is dedicated to upholding a sense of community and openness and would like to invite everyone to participate and be actively involved with MSA regardless of your background. This is a great opportunity to not only learn more about Islam, but also to meet new people and become part of the Muslim Community here at UVa. One of our initiatives is to continue to collaborate with other organizations on grounds as well as the local Charlottesville Masjid as it is a great resource for all students. The MSA has a variety of fun activities including Islamic halaqas and Quran study, workshops, intramural sports, Eid celebrations, Fast-a-thon, Mock Hajj, speakers and community potlucks. We look forward to an exciting year!
- To promote a diverse and unified community reflecting the various backgrounds and experiences of Muslim students.
- To strive to become model Muslims in order to promote and serve Islam in both the University and Charlottesville communities.
- To give the Muslim Students at UVA a voice in University affairs.
- To teach and learn Islam through educational, social and religious activities.
- To be an active and vocal presence in the struggle for the weak and oppressed in the local and global communities.